The following are tips and suggestions that job candidates should consider when
applying for a position.
Resumes and cover letters
The interview process begins
when the potential employer receives your resume and cover letter. Here are a few
- Use readily available resources to help you develop and perfect your resume and
cover letter. Microsoft Office products have resume and cover letter templates to
help guide you through the process.
- Visit your college's career center. They have knowledgeable staff members and resources
available to help you through the entire job search process. Take advantage of their
- Online resources such as www.monster.com and www.pongoresume.com have useful and
up-to-date information about forming resumes and cover letters.
- Remember to customize your resume and cover letter to the specific position in which
you are applying. Mention the name of the company and position on the cover letter
and make sure your resume reflects that position's qualifications.
- Proofread, proofread and proofread again. Then ask someone you trust to proofread
the resume and cover letter.
Interview process The interview is an opportunity
for you and the employer to know whether you are a good fit for the company. Here
are suggestions for the interview process:
Before the interview
- Research the company by asking your peers, professors and other contacts. Conduct
online research and read current publicity on the company.
- Prepare five questions for the interviewer.
- Rehearse commonly asked interview questions with a peer or professor.
- Know where you are going and who you are meeting with at the interview.
At the interview
- Dress for success - wear a suit.
- Arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment.
- Be polite to everyone you meet.
- Bring a portfolio, extra copies of your resume and your set of questions.
- Give a confident handshake, make eye contact, smile and use a formal greeting when
meeting your interviewer(s).
- Wait until invited before you sit.
- Thank the interviewer for his/her time as you begin.
- Have good posture, place both feet on the ground and place your hands in a comfortable
position. Relax and breathe! Allow the interviewer to lead the way.
- Take your time answering questions. Try to incorporate your company research into
End of the interview
- Ask three of the five questions you prepared.
- Ask when you will be hearing from the company regarding the position.
- Thank the interviewer again.
- Follow up with a thank you note.
Following these tips and suggestions will help set you apart from the rest of the
job candidates. We hope you found them helpful.