• Honkamp Krueger HK-Logo
  • HKPHKP-Logo
  • HK Financial ServicesHKFS-Logo
  • HKFS RetirementHKRS-Logo
  • HK Alliance HKA-Logo
  • Kabel Business Services Kabel-Logo

SSA resuming Employer Correction Request notices in effort to heighten employer responsibility

News |

The Social Security Administration (SSA) announced that starting this month, it will resume Employer Correction Request notices, commonly known as no-match letters. This issuance of the no-match letters signals a renewed and heightened effort to hold employers responsible for resolving discrepancies with Social Security records.

These letters will notify employers who have filed at least one Form W-2 containing a mismatch between a name and Social Security number (SSN). The notices are to contain an error tally and instructions for accessing the entire list of errors. The SSA anticipates all letters will be sent to employers by June.

What to do if you receive these letters?

Employers are instructed to use SSA’s free Business Services Online (BSO) tool, https://www.ssa.gov/employer/notices.html, to view the names and SSNs which could not be matched and work with employees to resolve the error.

The SSA provides a sample letter to give to employees, https://www.ssa.gov/employer/notices/SSNVSsampleLetter.pdf, while also instructing employers on issuing a Form W-2C, Statement of Corrected Income and Tax Amounts. HKP can issue Form W-2Cs for $50 per correction.

The SSA will also be adding website instructional videos to the BSO tool to help users navigate the site.

HKP/Kabel is not allowed to register on behalf of clients, so the registration process must be completed by someone employed by the employer that is authorized to conduct business on their behalf. The registration process will ask for personal information of the employee to verify against the SSA records. You may also call 800-772-6270 to get the list of employees that have a mismatch. If the number of employees is too large to give over the phone, you will be instructed to register through the website.

We have provided an FAQ (view FAQ here) for your review. If you have any questions, email hkpayroll@hkpayroll.com or payrolldepartment@kabelbiz.com. You may also call your client services representative directly.